I read a string under a post my son made yesterday. It was about a controversial team owner and some seriously disturbing comments he made. Let’s not get into it. But “get into it” they did on Facebook. I think open conversation and civilized disagreement are healthy for everyone. I love social media for many reasons and one of them is we can sit in our own living rooms and be exposed to other people’s opinions. As much or as little as we please.
While I found the conversation to be interesting and appropriate, sometimes it’s nice to come to a consensus. It feels good to be human and agree to agree. In my heart I know you might take issue with these things, but if you would just try and give them a chance… wouldn’t it feel nice to just get along?
Let’s all get:
- Pedicures. I was in my 30’s before I had my first and they are now a regular part of my self-care regimen. Studies show that foot health is very important, especially as we age. I submit to you that health insurance should cover these expenses. Can I get an amen?
- Grilling one’s dinner on a warm spring afternoon. I don’t care if you’re a carnivore or vegan, there are magical things that can be done in the sun on a grill. And kitchen clean up is kept to a minimum. Gracias.
- Babies giggling. I’ve never heard angels sing, but if they did, it would sound like my grandson’s laugh. I’m convinced of this.
- Doing something that scares the h@ll out of you and being successful at it. It could be big, it could be small, but when we make an effort to do something we’re not at all sure we will succeed in, and emerge victorious… Yum…
- Random acts of kindness. In the very worst space of my life I had an opportunity to offer a stranger help. I don’t believe it was an accident she was placed before me, I believe it was the only medicine that could have made me feel better. And it did.
- Laughing until you cry. Talk about medicine. I’ve always had a hard time with tears, they just don’t come easily for me. But in their place it has been quite common for me to laugh until my sides hurt, tears rolling down my face. Sweet, sweet relief.
- Food is a complex topic for this girl, but I believe the purest food, the most delicious of meals is… wait for it… a smashed peanut butter and jam sandwich on whole wheat bread after a hard and long hike. The perfect side is the view from the top of a mountain. Sure I might not be much of a cryer, but over a PB&J sandwich at the top of a climb, I weep.